Digital transformation has become a popular buzzword since the pandemic. Enterprises across the globe are relying on it for growth and continuity. New-age technologies such as Cloud, AI, ML and IoT, to name a few, are changing the way businesses and societies function and connect. New-age technologies are evolving at lightning speed to reduce latency in connectivity. For instance, edge computing has transformed the way cloud computing functioned. Now, owing to edge computing, the data can be collected and computed at the source rather than sending it to the central cloud for computation. This not only reduces latency but also enhances customer experience by leaps and bounds.
Also Read: How Edge Computing compliments IoT?
Now, there’s a new entrant in the world of edge computing and it is known as the ‘Intelligent Edge’.
What is Intelligent Edge?
The intelligent edge, also described as ‘intelligence at the edge’, is a continually expanding set of connected systems and devices that gather and analyze data closer to where it is captured in a network. In this way, users get real-time insights and experiences, delivered by highly responsive and contextually aware apps.
Let us first understand the important pillars of the intelligent edge. Also, known as the 3 Cs of the Intelligent Edge:
- Connect – When devices, people, or things connect via networks, it facilitates data exchanges that promote new sources and quantities of data.
- Compute – Systems can then compute this data, provide access to applications, and unfold deep insights concerning the connected things, devices, and the surrounding environment.
- Control – These computed insights can then be used to take action. To control the devices and things at the edge, or prompt other types of control actions associated with the business or enterprise to which the edge is connected.
Following are the ways in which intelligent edge benefit businesses:
- Reduces Latency and promotes more efficient use of the bandwidth – By reducing the distance between where data is captured and processed, the intelligent edge not only reduces latency but also improves bandwidth utilization and diminishes the associated transit costs.
- Builds resiliency against unreliable connectivity – The intelligent edge delivers greater visibility into network conditions and an awareness of the operating environment. Even if the connectivity is poor, edge operations can continue and then reconnect when resources are available, without losing data consistency.
- Reduces security vulnerabilities – Intelligent edge eliminates the need to transport data to the central cloud. Hence, it reduces the chances of in-transit data theft or leak thereby minimizing data security vulnerabilities.
- Provides seamless user experience – Intelligent edge provides faster and improved integration amongst connected devices and systems. It eliminates service interruptions during transfer and computation of data. In addition, automation can be built at the edge of the network, thereby improving user experience.
Components of the Intelligent Edge Ecosystem:
Below mentioned are the important components that support and power the intelligent edge:
- Edge Computing – We all are familiar with edge computing, since it has become the popular tech buzzword. Edge computing enhances cloud computing and makes it more agile and reliable. It decentralizes computing resources and bring them closer to the endpoint devices. Hence, it offers several benefits such as enhanced endpoint security, low latency, and cost reduction on bandwidth for data transfer and builds resiliency.
- Edge AI – Simply put, edge AI is a combination of edge computing and artificial intelligence. In this framework, AI algorithms are processed locally, either directly on the device or on the server near the device. The algorithms utilize the data generated by the devices themselves.
- Edge Devices – Smart devices powered by AI and IoT, collect data in real-time without any need for human intervention. An array of smart sensors make these devices capable of collecting, computing, and delivering intelligent insights in real-time.
- Edge Data Centers – Edge data centers are small data centers located at the edge of the network, where they are closer to users and devices. Having compute power at the edge enables faster performance and lower latency.
- Intelligent Edge – The Future: Intelligent Edge solves two problems by merging them together into one solution. It takes the load off from the central cloud data center and distributes it over the interconnected smaller edge data centers and further enables applications to bring AI and ML algorithms to the edge. Powered by real-time databases and AI, the intelligent edge provides real-time insights for the improvement of many industries. Hence, it wouldn’t be incorrect to say that intelligent edge has the potential to transform the future of many industries and businesses.