Full stack developers have become some of the most desirable professionals in the world. Fluent in both the front-end and back-end development of web applications, platforms, and websites, full stack developers are skilled programmers who are also knowledgeable about user interfaces and user experiences, database architecture, back-end technologies, and computational tasks.
What is a Full Stack Developer?
To understand what a full stack developer does, it’s important to first understand web development. Web development has two main components: the back-end and the front-end. Front-end development takes care of the client’s side of the application; a front-end developer makes sure the end-product is visually appealing and user-friendly. Back-end development powers the server-side of the application; a back-end developer is responsible for using the programming language to exchange information between the browser and back-end databases.
Full stack development refers to the development of both the front-end and back-end of a web application or website. A full stack developer, then, is someone who can do both types of web development. They have a wide variety of skills that enable them to build, manage, and improve server-side operating systems, databases, libraries, and frameworks, while also understanding the UX design needs of a web or mobile application.
The programming languages required for front-end development differ from those required for back-end development. If you have the right tech stack and skills, then no one can stop you from becoming a full-fledged full stack developer. Here are some of the skills that are required to become a full stack developer in 2022.
- HTML: HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language and is used to determine the structure of a webpage. Coding with HTML is an essential skill for full stack developers because, without it, a website or application wouldn’t have a user interface and the internet wouldn’t be navigable.
- CSS: CSS is used for styling your application. It is basically the flesh and blood of your application. The better the CSS of your website, the more attractive it will look. The margins, paddings, white spaces, colors, image formatting, and text formatting are all handled using CSS.
- AJAX: If you have had apps on your phone function in the background retrieving information and performing updates without being disruptive, that’s because of Ajax, a web programming concept used by full stack developers that enables web applications to send and receive information from servers asynchronously.
- PHP: One of the most popular choices for back-end development, PHP is an open-source, cross-platform compatible language that can work seamlessly on Unix, macOS, and Windows.
- Python: Python’s English-like syntax, smooth learning curve, and a vast assortment of libraries and frameworks is what makes it extremely popular among developers and coders around the world.
- Ruby: Ruby is a robust programming language. An active community of developers back it, but it also boasts of excellent documentation and dependencies, making it the ideal choice for back-end development and a much-required skill for a full stack developer.
- SQL: SQL is a programming language used for extracting and organizing data in a relational data management system. To make back-end elements such as the server or database communicate with each other, full stack developers use SQL to create rules for storing, retrieving, or modifying server data.
- API: Application Programming Interface or API is a link between software that allows multiple applications to contact each other. When you chat with your friend through Facebook, it is because of an API. A skilled full stack developer should be familiar with APIs.
- Web Architecture: Since the primary responsibility of a full stack developer is to develop complex software applications from scratch, they must know the web architecture including how to structure the code, categorize the files, structure the data in databases, and perform the necessary computational tasks.
- Database Storage: All web applications need a database where all the data will be stored. This is to ensure that developers can access the data later. Database storage calls for an experienced and skilled full stack developer who knows relational databases and database storage inside-out. Full stack developers must be adept in database management – they should be able to design, understand, and manipulate database queries. They must also know how to work with XML and JSON.
When you aspire to become a full stack developer, technical skills solely won’t suffice. You must possess the perfect balance of technical knowledge and soft skills. Every full stack developer must have the following soft skills:
- An analytical bent of mind
- Good time management skills
- Curiosity for learning
- Attention to detail
- Creative vision
To establish a successful career in full stack development, it is necessary to learn both theoretical and practical knowledge of all the above-mentioned skill sets. You can search for educational institutions and pursue courses related to these skill sets and technologies. Clover Academy is one of the institutions that provides exposure to the latest technologies and gives the trainee an opportunity to apply their learning and knowledge in the workplace. With the correct direction and right learning tools, you can become a full stack developer and a highly-sought technology expert in no time.