Google Search is much more than a search engine. It collects data from all over the internet, looks for meaningful information, stores it in its data centers, and makes it available to us in seconds. Google handles billions of searches every day and your search is added there. However, most Google users cannot take full advantage of Google Search, as they don’t know most of the tips to try on.
Also Read: Want to work faster? These 20 Windows Keyboard Shortcuts may help!
In this article, we are going to share the best Google search tips that can help you to get the most out of it. These will help you search efficiently and find what you are looking for easily. Here we go…
1. Get related searches: In order to get useful, important, and exact information, we need to find similar kind of sites that can provide results according to particular sites for reference or any other purpose depending upon someone’s need.
2. Use Double Quotes to find exact match results: Using quotes in the query will give you the exact match and better results. Quotation marks in a search engine query removes unnecessary results and shows the exact match. For instance, if you search for Oppo Phones under Rs. 10,000 then you may get results for Oppo as well as other brands under Rs. 10,000. However, if you search using double quotes i.e. “Oppo Phones Under Rs. 10,000” then you will get results that exactly match your search term.
3. Search within a Specific Website: It allows you to search within specific websites and not the whole Internet. It is handy if you know the place for your search. It allows you to save time and get desired results.
E.g. site:amazon.com dell laptops
4. Use an Asterisk: In most computer software, the asterisk symbol is translated as ‘wildcard’. As the name suggests, wildcards are placeholders that can be replaced by any word or phrase. This can be particularly useful if you’ve forgotten parts of a word or phrase.
E.g. One man’s * is another man’s poison
5. Convert Currencies: Google Currency Converter is an easy way to know your foreign exchange rates and do currency conversions. All you need is your web browser connected to Google.com. You can quickly convert the currencies in Google search without visiting any further website. Just enter the amount and type of currency you want to convert.
E.g. convert 15000 rupees to dollars
6. Make Advanced Search: When used for searching the Web, an advanced search gives additional information to Google, which helps refine the search. This feature allows you to make the most of this search engine through a single page. It combines many of its special features, search tricks, and search tools under one hood. All you have to do is click on, Settings > Advanced search at the bottom-right of Google’s homepage.
7. Browse Offline Websites: Google takes a snapshot of each web page as a backup in case the current page isn’t available. These pages then become part of Google’s cache. If you click a link that says “Cached,” you’ll see the version of the site that Google stored in case if it is down.
E.g. cache:cloverinfotech.com lets you browse cloverinfotech.com even if it is offline
8. Search for the Time: Calculating time difference manually is hard, so why not let Google do the work for you? Type time [any location], which could be the name of a country, city or (if it’s in the USA) a ZIP code, to return with the up-to-date local time of your search.
9. Exclude terms with a minus (-) symbol: Sometimes you want to refine your results by excluding pages that include a specific word. You can exclude words from your search by using the (-) sign before any word. Remember to always include a space before the – sign, and none after.
E.g. Sample search for [cybersecurity trends -2020]
The second set eliminates mention of 2020 trends, thereby filtering out information about the cybersecurity trends 2020
10. Real-time Stock Quotes: Google can give you real-time stock information. Just type in any company that has a publicly traded ticker symbol.
E.g. “INFY” (for Infosys)
Everyone knows how to use Google, but not everyone knows how to leverage its full potential. We hope that using the above-mentioned tips, you will be able to get the most out of your Google search.