What is Performance tuning in IT?
Performance tuning is the activity to improve system performance in computer/server/database systems. A performance problem may be identified by slow or unresponsive systems.This usually occurs because of high system loading, causing some part of the system to reach a limit in its ability to respond.
How it affects the end user?
Besides affecting the overall performance of the system, it leads to several slow and sluggish responses in the form of ETL Load/Batch Job Delays, Reporting Delays, Decision Making Delays, Business Analytics Delays, Customer Intelligence Delays, Planning and Forecasting Delays, Key Performance Metrics Delays. These problems amplify with the quantity of data thus affecting the performance.
Slow systems are due to several wrong practices which lead to sluggish system response. Some factors are as lame as lack of proper and meaningful maintenance, poor monitoring and scheduling, human error etc. While some problems are due to inherent poor system design. But, most of the problems are caused by badly written SQL, by users/developers.
Several Types of Performance Tuning
There are few companies that provide Performance Tuning Services in Database, Application and in Infra level etc. There are several areas which can be tuned to enhance the performance of the system. They are as follows.
• Server Tuning
• Instance Tuning and Maintenance
• Database Tuning and Maintenance
• Table Reorganizations/Redefinitions
• New Indexes
• Regular Statistics Collection
• SQL/PLSQL Code Changes
• Working with other teams
• Educating/Training the users
How Performance Tuning benefits IT companies & Corporations?
Tuning your system has several benefits like you can improve its cost benefit ratio, thus a properly tuned system has following benefits like :
- Processing large, or more demanding, workloads without increasing process costs.
- Obtain faster response time or higher throughput without increasing process costs.
- Reduce processing cost without degrading the services to users.
- Efficient use of resources & the ability to add more users to the system. Greater user satisfaction because of quicker response times